Another thing that I love that I didn’t mention in my previous post is baking! I usually bake something every weekend when the weather is bad or I don’t have any plans. I don’t do Home Ec, but a couple of my friends do and recently they made a delicious apple crumble! I modified the following recipe ever so slightly to make the apples sweeter so reduce the amount of golden syrup if you feel they are too sweet.
2/3 medium cooking apples
2 tablespoons golden syrup
140g porridge oats
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
100g light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly grease a baking tin.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples and mix with golden syrup. Spread over the ovenproof dish.
- Mix the oats, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Rub in butter.
- Stir in sugar. Mix with knife to form small clumps.
- Spread the crumble over the apple and bake for 35-40 mins.
As you can see, this recipe is super easy and the result is super delicious!! I ate mine warm with hot custard, but ice cream or cream would be just as nice. A good way to make the perfect crumble is by first mixing the oats, flour, butter and cinnamon into a ball to make sure the butter is distributed evenly. After that, add the sugar and use a knife to break up the mixture 🙂 Hope you enjoy!